Wednesday, February 10, 2010

snow days

In the recent days full of snow and blizzard-like conditions I have learned something somewhat new and starling about myself. If I had no one to encourage me to get out of bed in the morning and interact with other human beings, I could quite possibly sit in my room all day hidden from the world. I am an introvert at heart. I honestly always considered myself an extrovert because they always seemed more popular and likable, but I can no longer deny who I am. Recently, my greatest fear has been being locked in a social setting. I need my car. I need an excuse to leave at all times. I need the comfort of my bedroom. I am more of a loner than I ever realized.

While in no ways do I consider these feelings something to run from or hide, I have found that when taken to the extreme (which with the mixture of bad weather and shaky relationships has been the case recently) they can be destructive. Even on my best days, I have a hard time opening up about what is really going on in my life. Yes, I will share my embarrassing story of dropping a gallon of milk in the middle of Kroger and watching it explode easily, but it takes a lot for me to tell someone what is really going on. I want to carry my own burdens. Satan sends this clever message, that you are stronger if you do it on your own. I believe it most of the time. I actually pride myself on my inability to cry and ability to hide my feelings. I know, that statement is messed up on so many levels. But the world tells me those things make me strong.

Ironically, this thought hit me while watching the movie, Up in the Air, honestly it was sad, actually depressing. It made me want to go home and curl up in my parent's bed and forget the world. But even this movie made by people who most likely do not know Jesus, seemed to disagree with my previous statement. Strength does not come from within. Why do I think that? I am so broken. I am just the type of broken that hides it from the world, but that doesn't make me any less broken.

1 comment:

  1. Whenever I feel or depressed, or for whatever reason spend my time alone for days on end, I get literally and metaphorically sick of it. Just not having a connection to the outside world kills me.

    ReplyDelete